Why Choose an Organic/Chemical-Free Mattress
When it comes to choosing a mattress, many people simply head to their nearest bed store and choose one that will both fit their bed and feel comfortable. Most are unaware of organic, chemical-free mattresses and the benefits these provide.
Organic mattresses are made from natural materials, free of the toxins and chemicals that can be harmful to health. Those who suffer from respiratory conditions such as asthma or allergies may find that organic mattresses help to alleviate their conditions.
It makes sense to choose a mattress that offers so many benefits, considering that almost one-third of our lives is spent in bed. A good mattress can have a positive impact on health, so it is a good idea to think about this purchase as a long-term investment.
What are Organic Mattresses Made From?
An organic mattress is typically made from layers of natural materials such as organic cotton, natural wool, and organic latex. These natural materials make organic mattresses more expensive than standard foam or spring mattresses, but they are no more expensive than the memory foam mattresses that have become very popular in recent years. However, if you are going to spend money on a mattress, it is much better for your health to opt for one that is chemical free.
Many people are unaware that non-organic mattresses are often full of harmful chemicals such as formaldehyde, boric acid, and antimony. The reason these mattresses contain these chemicals is that these help to make them flame retardant, which is a legal requirement for mattresses. Thankfully, organic mattresses are made from naturally flame-resistant materials and, therefore, do not require the addition of chemicals that are harmful to human health. Switching to an organic mattress can immediately limit this chemical exposure.
Why Choose an Organic Mattress
If the idea of a chemical-free mattress is not appealing enough, there are other significant reasons for choosing an organic mattress; a few examples are listed below.
- Natural fibres promote healthy sleep patterns. Research has shown that those who sleep on natural fibres tend to spend less time tossing and turning, which means they are getting better sleep.
- Natural wool mattresses help to reduce backache and pain at night, which is often a cause of interrupted sleep. After just four weeks of sleeping on a natural wool mattress, back pain can be reduced dramatically.
- Organic mattresses are hypoallergenic, meaning that they are ideal for allergy sufferers or those with chronic respiratory problems. The lack of chemicals used in these mattresses means there is no chance of aggravating existing conditions. Organic mattresses naturally resist dust mites, mould, mildew, and bacteria.
- The natural materials in organic mattresses help regulate temperature, meaning that they help the body to stay cool in the summer and warm in the winter. The natural fibres also work to wick away moisture, such as sweat, and, therefore, allow for optimal body temperature that results in a better night’s sleep.
- Although organic mattresses are more expensive, they actually provide a cost-effective solution as they last longer than synthetic mattresses. The natural materials are strong and durable and will keep their shape for longer.
If you are in the market for a new mattress, perhaps looking for something soft for your wooden futons, metal futons or sofa beds, make sure you consider your options carefully. By investing in a good quality organic mattress, you could improve your sleep, thus improving your health, and you could save money in the long run.