Why Choose an Organic/Chemical-Free Mattress
Organic mattresses are hard to find. Most people are unaware about organic, chemical-free mattresses and the benefits they provide.
These mattresses are made from natural materials. Therefore free of the toxins and chemicals that can be harmful to health. Those who suffer from respiratory conditions such as asthma or allergies may find that organic mattresses help to alleviate their conditions.
It makes sense to choose a mattress that offers so many benefits. Especially when considering that almost one-third of our lives is in a bed . A good mattress can have a positive impact on health. So it is a good idea to think about this purchase as a long-term investment.
What are our mattresses made from?
An organic mattress is typically made from layers of natural materials such as organic cotton, natural wool, and organic latex. These natural materials make organic mattresses more expensive than standard foam or spring mattresses. But most noteworthy they are no more expensive than memory foam mattresses. However, if you are going to spend money on a mattress, it is much better for your health to opt for one that is chemical free.
Many people are unaware that non-organic mattresses include harmful chemicals such as formaldehyde, boric acid, and antimony. The reason these mattresses contain these chemicals is that these help to make them flame retardant. In most cases this is a legal requirement for mattresses. But if the constituent materials of any mattress pass Flame Retardency tests, its legal.
Thankfully, organic mattresses use naturally flame-resistant materials. Therefore do not require the addition of chemicals that are harmful to human health. Switching to an organic mattress can immediately limit this chemical exposure.
Why Choose Organic
We hope the idea of a chemical-free mattress is appealing enough. However there are other significant reasons for choosing an organic mattress. A few examples are listed below.
- Natural fibres promote healthy sleep patterns. Research has shown that those who sleep on natural fibres tend to spend less time tossing and turning. This means they get better sleep.
- Natural wool mattresses help to reduce backache and pain at night. This is often a cause of interrupted sleep. After just four weeks of sleeping on a natural wool mattress, back pain can be reduced dramatically.
- Organic mattresses are hypoallergenic. Meaning they are ideal for allergy sufferers or those with chronic respiratory problems. The lack of chemicals used in these mattresses means there is no chance of aggravating existing conditions. Organic mattresses naturally resist dust mites, mould, mildew, and bacteria.
- The natural materials in these mattresses help regulate temperature. Most of all it helps the body to stay cool in summer and warm in winter. The natural fibres also work to wick away moisture, such as sweat. Furthermore, it allows optimal body temperature resulting in a better night’s sleep.
- Although organic mattresses are more expensive than other mattress types. But they actually provide a cost-effective solution as they last longer than synthetic mattresses. The natural materials are strong and durable and will keep their shape for longer.
Are you in the market for a new mattress? Perhaps looking for something soft for your wooden futons, metal futons or sofa beds? Make sure you consider your options carefully. By investing in a good quality organic mattress, you could improve your sleep. Not only will your health benefit, you could save money in the long run.